When someone says, “Beach trip!” what is the one thing that everyone has to make sure to pack besides sunblock, a book (or toys, if you are a child) and plenty of water to quench your thirst? That’s right, a beach blanket! No trip to the hot, sandy shore and the accompanying cool water is complete without one.
Beach blankets are, in a word, versatile. Most people will spread them out on the sand to provide a safe place to sit or lie down in the sun while you relax, or they will use beach blankets to dry off after a swim. Beach blankets can, in a pinch, be used as makeshift table cloths (you do not know what germs could be lurking on those picnic tables, or if those stains are food stains or something much more unpleasant). Parents are familiar with using them to cover car seats after their children have spent all day splashing around and running around – it makes cleaning up the car when you get home a little easier. Pet owners have also made use of beach blankets as seat covers when taking their pets to the vet or groomer.
These blankets are useful, sure, but what about if you are looking for a beach blanket and have certain criteria in mind? What if you want a blanket that is large enough for your family to sit on but will not be too bulky to pack up at the end of the day? Is your main concern that a beach blanket should be waterproof? Below you will find a list of what we consider to be the top 10 best beach blankets of 2020. We spent quite a bit of time trying to pick which beach blankets and beach mats would be included on our list. Any list that claims to have the top 10 best of anything should be able to deliver on that promise.
Our Beach Blanket Reviews
Made for indoor/outdoor use, this Falsa blanket is a versatile companion. The soft texture makes it extra comfy to lie on, or to use a blanket on a chilly night. You can hand wash or machine wash your Falsa blanket, though the latter method means it will get softer and fuller with each wash. We suggest doing that if you love an especially soft blanket to cover yourself with or to lie down on.
• Size: This blanket measures 74 in X 51 in (that is the average size – these are handmade so there is likely some variation in actual size)
• Material: This is made with recycled materials (a blend of 80% acrylic, 10% cotton, and 10% polyester).
• Extras: None
It’s like the “Supersize Me” version of a beach blanket! This beauty is big enough for 7 full-grown adults to sit or lie on. It does not get hot even when sitting out in the full sun, which makes it a great choice for the beach indeed. (We still suggest bringing a beach umbrella on very clear and sunny days, though. Your skin will thank you for being so considerate.)
• Size: This blanket measures 9 ft X 10 ft. • Material: It is made of ripstop nylon.
• Extras: It comes with metal stakes to anchor it down on a windy day.
Another super-sized blanket, this one would be a fine choice for a trip to the beach, to take on a picnic, or for use on a camping trip. Like the Wekapo blanket, it is large enough to fit up to seven people. Leave those beach chairs and extra beach blankets at home because you are not going to need any of them!
• Size: It measures 9 ft x 10 ft.
• Material: It is constructed from ripstop nylon.
• Extras: WELLAX includes a waterproof case that fits all smartphones up to 6’’in diagonal size. The case is a snap-and-lock one with dual-side transparent windows allowing full access to touchscreen functions. Yes, this means you can take pictures without taking your phone out of the case.
This is the first beach blanket on our list that is composed of more than one layer, which makes it a bit more versatile than you might expect at first glance. It is great for tailgating, picnics on the grass, and
other outdoor activities. It is proof that having multiple layers does not mean you have to sacrifice portability: The lightweight design means you can easily roll it up and carry it around.
• Size: It comes in two sizes – 60 in x 80 in and 80 in x 80 in.
• Materials: The top layer is fleece, the middle is 2mm sponge, and the bottom is made of PVC • Extras: None
Large enough to hold two people lying down and another 4 people sitting upright, this picnic blanket still has plenty of room to hold your picnic basket plus whatever goodies you take out to enjoy. While the PVC backing makes this a great outdoors blanket, it is also suitable for indoor use. You can even use it as a seat cover.
• Size: This picnic blanket measures 80” x 60”.
• Material: The top is made of polyester and the bottom layer is made of PVC. • Extras: None
This unusual blanket is composed of two layers of mesh, which makes it very lightweight. The design allows sand particles, dirt and dust to filter through the top layer and the bottom layer prevents sand from coming up underneath. Magic indeed! It would be great for hiking, fishing, open-air events, and more.
• Size: It comes in either 79” x 57” or 79” x 79”.
• Material: This is made of Advanced Polyester Fiber • Extras: It comes with a carrying bag.
Microfiber items can be found everywhere these days, so it is no surprise that there is a microfiber beach towel available. This is lightweight, soft to the touch, and dries quickly. This oversized towel is great for all ages and comes in a wide variety of colorful designs.
• Size: The available sizes are – 71” x 31”, 78” x 35”, 63” x 31”, 72” x 72”
• Material: The towel is composed of microfiber (80% polyester, 20% polyamide)
• Extras: Each towel comes with a zipper bag to keep valuables safe.
This blanket can be used for far more than picnics and it is comfy to sit on. It can be a carpet for your tent when you are camping, a play mat for your children or pets, or you can use it as a place to put your sleeping bag for a night spent sleeping under the stars. We think it would also be great to use for a midday nap in the shade after working hard all morning.
• Size: It measures 59” x 60”.
• Material: Top is woven acrylic, foam layer in the middle, and the bottom is made of PEVA. • Extras: None
Another blanket that is eco-friendly and pretty to look at! Hand-woven in Mexico, this makes a very good yoga blanket. It would also make an attractive addition to your home as a throw blanket, a bedspread for a twin bed, or as a wall decoration.
• Size: The blanket measure 51 in x 74 in. • Material: Recycled Material (Acrylic)
• Extras: None
While not as big as some other blankets on this list, the Sand Escape Beach Blanket is nonetheless significantly larger than average. It is durable and breathable, and sand will not stick to it. A quick shake and the blanket is sand-free and ready to be stowed away! The four anchor pockets can be filled
with sand, rocks, or whatever other material you can find that is heavy enough to weigh the blanket down.
• Size: 9 ft x 7 ft
• Material: This is made of 100% Parachute Nylon
• Extras: There are extra pockets integrated into the design so you can store things like sunscreen and sunglasses.